About Alberta Provincial Nomination Program - Express Entry
Alberta is one of the fastest growing economies in Western Canada and is home to two largest cities in Canada – Calgary and Edmonton. With famous national parks like Banff and Jasper along with varying landscapes like towering mountains, glacial lakes, fertile prairies, etc., it is also known as the most spectacular part of North America. Alberta’s PNP is designed with three streams: Alberta Opportunity Stream, Express Entry, and Self-Employed Farmer Stream. Each program is operated by the Alberta Government along with IRCC which allocates a limited number of nominations to AINP every year.
Alberta Express Entry Stream
Eligible candidates from the Express Entry system can be nominated by the Government of Alberta under this stream which in turn results in an increase of 600 comprehensive ranking system points. Before applying for provincial nomination under Alberta Express Entry Stream scheme, a candidate needs to receive an invitation or Notification of Interest (NOI) from the AINP. The candidate must be working in an occupation suitable for Alberta’s economic prosperity and diversification, have a minimum CRS score of 300, and have an active express entry profile.
Apart from the requirement of having an NOI, the candidate should have a valid job offer, have a graduation degree from an Alberta post-secondary institution, and/or have close blood relatives (parent, child, and/or sibling) staying in Alberta as a permanent resident.
How the AINP selects Express Entry Candidates
Foreign nationals can only apply to the Alberta Express Entry stream after receiving a Notification of Interest (NOI) letter from the province. Eligible candidates will be contacted directly by the AINP through their Express Entry profile.
Only those Express Entry candidates who receive an invitation or NOI letter from the AINP can submit an application for a provincial nomination under the Alberta Express Entry Stream. The AINP will select candidates based on the self-declared information in their Express Entry profile. Candidates may receive a NOI if they:
- Have an active Express Entry profile in the federal Express Entry pool
- Have stated an interest in immigrating permanently to Alberta.
- Are working in an occupation that supports Alberta’s economic development and diversification
- Have a minimum CRS score of 300.
In addition, the AINP is more likely to select candidates with one or more adaptability factors. The candidate must:
- Have a valid Alberta job offer and/or work experience; and/or
- Be a graduate of an Alberta post-secondary institution with a valid Alberta job offer; and/or
- Have Parent, child, brother and/or sister who is a permanent resident living in Alberta, or a Canadian citizen living in Alberta.
Candidates must receive an email request to submit an application to apply to the program.
Factors that may decrease the chances of receiving a NOI letter include:
- The express entry profile is expiring in 5 months or less.
- The candidate’s job occupation is listed in the Canadian government’s refusal list of LMIA processing occupations.
- The candidate’s primary job occupation is listed under Alberta Opportunity Stream ineligible occupations list.
Alberta Opportunity Stream
This stream allows individuals who meet the stream's minimum eligibility requirements and are working in Alberta in an eligible occupation to apply for an AINP provincial nomination. The Alberta Opportunity Stream (AOS) is a pathway to Canadian permanent residence for foreign nationals working in Alberta and international graduates who have completed their studies at an approved Alberta post-secondary institution. Individuals interested in the AOS must meet the eligibility requirements for the following factors:
- Residency status and work permit requirements.
- Work experience in an occupation that is not part of the ineligible occupations list.
- Income level.
International Graduates of Alberta Post-secondary Institutions
International students can benefit from the Alberta Opportunity Stream if they have completed their studies at an approved Alberta post-secondary institution and are employed in Alberta on a Post-Graduation Work Permit. The AINP urges student applicants who demonstrate education and skills that are aligned with Alberta's labor market needs to make use of the AOS. To apply, international students must:
- Show that they have at least six months of work experience in Alberta in an occupation related to their field of study (this is less than the requirement for other applicants).
- Meet the same minimum language and income requirements listed on this page.
It is important to note that international students who have studied in other Canadian provinces will not be eligible for the AINP as Post-Graduation Work Permit holders. They can, however, be considered for the program if they have a different type of work permit.
Self Employed Farmer Stream
Individuals with farming experience and desire to purchase and manage farm(s) in Alberta can apply for permanent residence through self-employed farmer streams. Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program along with Alberta’s Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry assesses the applicant’s eligibility to apply for permanent residence under this scheme. Given below are eligibility criteria for self employed farmers to apply to this stream:
- The candidate must demonstrate farm management skills through documentary evidence for education, training, and work experience, finance documents for existing farm business, and a proposed business plan to be operated in Alberta’s farming land.
- Candidate must prove that his/her farming business Alberta is going to be funded by a financial institution in Canada.
- Candidates should be able to invest a minimum of CAD 500000 of equity in the farming business in Alberta and should have a minimum net worth of 500000 Canadian dollars.
- The applicant should display proof of investment in a primary production farming business through documented investment intentions.
- Application must be among the most preferred applications promising Alberta’s agri-food growth.
- The candidate should attend a one-to-one interview (in person) with a Government of Alberta representative.
International Graduate Entrepreneur Immigration Stream
Alberta's International Graduate Entrepreneur Immigration Stream (IGEIS) is designed for international students who have graduated from approved Alberta post-secondary institutions. Applicants establish or operate a business in Alberta on a work permit, and can then apply for Canadian permanent residence.
To be eligible to immigrate to Canada through this stream, you must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Education: Must have completed at least two years of full-time education resulting in a degree or diploma from an eligible Alberta post-secondary institution.
- Work permit: Must have a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) valid at the time you submit your Expression of Interest (EOI).
- Language: Must have a minimum Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) of 7 for each English skill (reading, writing, listening and speaking), or a Niveau de compétence linguistique Canadians (NCLC) of 7 for each French skill.
- Business Establishment: Must start a new business, or buy an existing business in Alberta with 34% ownership. Your business partners must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents. The business must be an eligible business.
Accepted language Tests
Alberta accepts the following English language tests:
- Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program (CELPIP),
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
The following French language tests are accepted:
- Test d’évaluation de français (TEF) Canada
- Test de connaissance du français (TCF) Canada
Even though there are many PNP consultants around the globe providing immigration services, only few stand out with their exceptional services. Gateway Visas, with an expert team of visa and immigration consultants, provide you with an exceptionally dedicated and committed service to help with each step around each category of the AINP process.
Contact us now for applying to the AINP program.